Monday, May 7, 2012

Full-Tilt First Date Bailout: SMS Edition

Quick back story: Meredith is a woman who I met at late-night Karaoke a month earlier and had since confided that she a.) lives in Wisconsin, b.) has a three-year-old son and c.) is currently going through a messy divorce.

We had a date planned for the next time she came to town.  Something simple and fun - dinner and a show.

The following conversation takes place completely via text.

May 5, 2012 - 11:25 a.m.
Meredith: Justin, I'm really sorry to this to you, but I'm going to have to bail.  My best friend showed up, and I haven't seen her in a year. I can't not spend time with her. And . . . in all honesty, I don't really see much point in going on a date with someone that you know would not work out in the end.  Between the threesomes and the vasectomy . . . well, they're both pretty much deal breakers for me. I'm sorry for doing this to you so late in the game.

May 5, 2012 - 11:29 a.m.
Justin: Ha. I love how a reasonable cancellation required a complete overview of why we wouldn't work as a couple.

It was just a date, Meredith. It's okay. Have fun.

May 5, 2012 - 11:31 a.m.
Meredith: Thanks for understanding. I just wanted to be honest with you.

May 5, 2012 - 11:32 a.m. 
Justin: I didn't know you were looking for something so serious.

13 hours later . . .

May 6, 2012 - 12:52 a.m.
Meredith: Justin - I'm really sorry about earlier. I was a total bitch . . . I was actually pretty excited about going on the first date I've gone in years. It was my brother that convinced me otherwise. It's true that my friend came into town . . . but I really was looking forward to spending time with you. I wish I would have trusted my gut in the first place. He and I actually had a pretty huge argument tonight. I'm sitting at The Owl by myself . . . analyzing everything . . . and feeling really horrible about earlier today.

May 6, 2012 - 12:53 a.m.
Justin: Karaoke?

1 comment:

velander said...

Sitting next to Meredith at Alice's Lounge.

May 6, 2012 - 2:56 a.m.
Justin: Hey baby.

Let's bone.

May 6, 2012 - 2:56 a.m.
Meredith: Shhhhhh.

No.

May 6, 2012 - 2:57 a.m.
Meredith: VDs are not of interest to me.

May 6, 2012 - 2:58 a.m.
Justin: Excuse you?!?! You have the *WORST* VD!

It's called a CHILD!!!

May 6, 2012 - 2:59 a.m.
Meredith: Fuck you.

May 6, 2012 - 3:01 a.m.
Justin: Now THAT'S a proposal.

After we closed down the bar, I dropped her off at her brother's and then happily went home alone.