Sunday, April 20, 2008

The Insomniac's Dream: Follow-Up

Thanks for the comments and compliments that so many of you either left in my journal or inbox regarding my photo letter to Justine. A lot of you were quite curious to know if she ever responded to it.

Well, she did -- TWELVE DAYS LATER! In the event that she wasn't able to download the giant .zip file I originally provided for her, I went ahead and sent her a link to my Flickr page. Three hours later she replied:

I'm guessing that since you sent this again you're wondering if I got it in the first place. I thought I let you know before that I did get it. I think the pictures and everything are a really cool way to say something, its neat, and clearly took a lot of effort, so thanks for thinking of me to do something like this.

later.
-J.


Seriously, it took twelve days to receive this incredibly neutral response. Since then I haven't heard a peep from her. I don't take that as a good sign. In fact, I think it's safe to say that she's just not that into me. She was at one point, but something changed while I was on the road and working on this project. Maybe she's too busy, maybe she's got unfinished business with this other boy, maybe the letter freaked her out. Either way, I've said my piece. The ball's in her court now.

Yes, I am disappointed that all the time and energy I put into this project didn't yield the response I wanted, but I'm still glad I did it. Simply, you can't win if you don't play. And even if I've lost the affections of this one girl, at least I've gotten back in touch with that part of me that firmly believes in and lives for the Grand Romantic Gesture. It had been a long time since I felt confident enough to put myself out there like that. This in particular was a fucking terrifying plunge into familiar waters, but the exhilaration of finding myself back in my element was worth the initial dread.

I guess all that's left is to find another girl who not only inspires me to take such risks BUT will also enjoy the final results of that inspiration.

The search continues . . .

No comments: